Saturday, June 2, 2012

Ellington

I've been wanting to share the story of Ellington for quite a while but there never seems to be quite enough hours in the day to get home from work, do laundry, cook dinner, feed and walk the dogs, do all the things around the house that never seem to get finished and take the time alone at the computer to tell you about him.
But something happened yesterday as our work day was ending at the animal hospital that reminded me of him.

This is a picture of a dog like Ellington { I did not have one of him to share}.
One of the most difficult decisions a pet owner has to make is letting them go. Some hold on as long as possible, some too long, because letting go is never easy. I took the call for Ellington, put the information in the computer, euthanasia, body care or cremation, they would let us know when they checked in. When the two sisters arrived with Ellington {one with him in her arms}you could see that he was tired, weak and not able to walk on his own. He stared at me with those piercing brown eyes as I asked all the routine questions and got a signature on the consent form. The waiting room had several clients seated with their pets waiting their turn to see a doctor and there was quite a bit of chatter and barking, phones ringing. The sisters, both teary eyed told me the story of Ellington. He had belonged to their parents. Their father had passed away several years ago so it had been just their mother and Ellington. He was a wonderful companion and great comfort to her. She then passed away two years ago and Ellington went to live with one of the sisters. He was now 15 years old and in very bad health and though it hurt them to let him go, they knew it was time.
They stood up front to say their goodbye's, they did not want to watch him go. They each held him in their arms and thanked him for taking such good care of their mother and father and for being such a good brother. They each kissed his little black nose and told him softly it was ok to go and to tell mom and dad that they said hello when he got there. The room by now had grown quiet, everyone touched by what was happening, even the phones were silent. There were no dry eyes in that room and though I did not know them personally I hugged each of them and told them I was so sorry for their loss.
I love my job and most days it is routine appointments, dog barking, cats meowing, cleaning up more puddles & piles than I can count and lots of puppy kisses. We do see a lot of sadness. See a lot of pets go but a select few stand out, stay with you.
Such was Ellington.
Till next time,
Kimberly

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen...Waht a sweet story... I've been there done taht way to many times. But thank god i have been blessed that most of my animals have lived to be between 16 & 20 years old..
    It has to be hard to having to put down animals. Especially hard when they were so loved like Ellington!

    Blessings
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete