Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's been a busy three weeks!

I can't believe how fast time goes by. Summer is almost over, it's almost time for school to start. It seems like only yesterday we were trying to get things in order for Ashton to go to Italy for the summer and I was dreading it so much. I kept myself busy and surprisingly the time passed quickly.
My grandmother came to visit for a couple of weeks so Ashton talked her dad into bringing her home a few weeks early so she could surprise her. The day she came home my grandmother asked when she was coming home and I said uh, I'm not sure but soon, so needless to say she was so happy to see her walk through the door that same day. We all shed happy tears, I took the Friday off and we did what girls do best, we shopped. The next day her dad picked her up and they drove to Florida to visit her sister for a few days then to Alabama to visit her great-grandmother then to Tennessee to visit her other grandparents. My grandmother and I left last Saturday for Tennessee, she loved visiting but she was ready to get back home and Ashton was waiting there with my dad to make the trip back home with me on Sunday.
The trip on Saturday started out as most do. Hit the interstate, a bit of traffic but not bad. Just cruising along looking at the beautiful scenery, making good time, should get there within seven hours. Not bad.
But as we got to the Smokey Mountains we ran into this. Traffic down to one lane but still not bad. But then.............
We ran into this. That's right, traffic came to a dead stop. Cars ahead as far as the eye can see.............
And cars behind as far as the eye can see. It took us two hours to drive ten miles. There were three rock slides on the mountain and the crews were hard at work cleaning them up. So what should have been a seven hour trip turned into a nine hour trip. But we still made it before dark. Once there we unloaded the car, visited with my dad a while then Ashton, my grandmother and me drove to My ex-inlaws for a quick visit {we still keep in touch} then we grabbed a quick bite to eat. By this time it was 9:30 p.m. but we still had to stop by Food City to grab a few things then back to my grandmothers to hang some new curtains, sconce and flower arrangement in her bathroom. Whew, by this time it was past midnight and Ashton and I were tired so finally after 1 a.m. we crashed only to get up early the next morning to start the seven hour trip back home.
Since Ashton has her permit she drove the first two hours and we stopped at the rest area at the top of the mountain where we walked around a bit and took pictures.
We walked down to the scenic area to take pictures.
Then it was back on the road. Thankfully this trip was uneventful and though we made several stops for food and gas we made it home safe and sound within seven hours where we were greeted at the door by a very excited Baby and Harley.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Till next time,
Kimberly: )

No comments:

Post a Comment